Re: [RFI] Mystery Noise (Aren't they all)

To: RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Mystery Noise (Aren't they all)
From: "Chris L. Parker" <parker601@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 15:15:39 +0000
Hi Wes,

To answer your question, experience (been there, done that) and experimenting.
I pulled out the old Wavetek 3001 signal generator to confirm the antenna
transition frequency yesterday.
Don's (WD8DSB) very effective flag antenna is now a kit on DXEngineering.
Specified usable for DF down to 1.8 MHz.
The flag will need a preamp for use with the Sony 7600GR (and blocking cap).
They sell a preamp as well.
I built a much more "stealthy" 6-inch ARDF loop for my MW DF work. (QST, Sep
2005, Dale Hunt, WB6BYU)
I have an unidentified 160 meter RFI source in a strip mall 1/4 mile away from
me.
Noise conducts (not radiates) through the powerlines towards my residence. Very
tricky to locate due long wavelength.
I suspect my RFI is HVAC, commercial refrigeration, or similar variable speed
drive electric motor.

Hope this helps.
Chris
AF6PX