Re: [RFI] Mystery Noise (Aren't they all)

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Mystery Noise (Aren't they all)
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 13:32:04 -0800
Wes,

This smells like a case that the late Neil Muncy tracked down in several different recording studios, including one where I sat next to him as he did it.

The mechanism was noise in form of triplen harmonics of 60 Hz on the neutral of a single-phase feed from a high-leg delta power system. This distribution is widely used in neighborhoods where there are both single-phase and relatively low power 3-phase customers. One of the legs has a center-tapped transformer, the others don't, and single phase customers are fed by it.

Because single phase customers get the neutral and 3-phase customers do not, the path to ground for the triplen harmonic current generated by 3-phase loads is via that neutral (3-phase delta customers don't get a neutral).

The mechanism for triplen harmonics is that loads in modern power systems are nearly all non-linear, where load current is dominated by capacitor-input PSUs, distortion the sine wave. Triplen harmonics (order divided by 3) add in the neutral of 3-phase systems, and it's not unusual for neutral current to exceed phase current. Years ago, I attended an SBE meeting at the studio of the Chicago Fox station, where the Chief Engineer described how they had almost gone off the air, and what they had to do to fix it.

In the recording studios, noise coupling was magnetic to single-coil guitar pickups, and dynamic mics without corresponding cancellation coils. Top line dynamics from EV and Shure, the major US companies, have those coils, lower cost ones do not.

In my Chicago shack, I ran into that same mechanism with an end-fed top-loaded wire ending in the shack that used on 80 and 160. It coupled into the keying circuit from computer to my rig, which was a shielded audio cable, and locked the rig into keydown. I solved the problem by replacing that keying line with a high quality braid-shielded twisted pair, with the shield connected only at the sending end, and pair carrying the keying signal. As a test, I verified that this fixed the issue up to 17M.

In addition to magnetic coupling as a mechanism, it could be IR drop in the grounding and bonding system.

73, Jim K9YC