Re: [RFI] Mystery Noise (Aren't they all)

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>, Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Mystery Noise (Aren't they all)
From: Wes Stewart via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 20:05:32 +0000 (UTC)
 I'm going to thank everyone who has responded here and answer what I can.
First, I just redid the "power down the whole house with the radio on battery
power" experiment.  There is absolutely no change in the noise.
To answer Jim, it's 24/7.
To Chris, I have a Sony ICF-SW7600GR that I have tried to use.  With the
built-in loopstick it is pretty deaf.  Local BC is received fine but the only
way I can hear the noise in to hold the radio close to the vertical.  An
interesting, but unexplained, observation is that when I disconnect the coax
feeder the noise is reduced.  A resistive termination on the antenna made no
difference, still lower noise.
Really reaching for something, I considered that since the buried powerline to
my house runs somewhere under the coax, which is on the ground, and perhaps
under some of the radials, there may be some coupling.  A stretch I know.  I
did listen using my 80-meter inverted-V and the noise is still there at greatly
reduced strength.
Mike, you're right, there is an underlying frequency in this mess.  The power
co-op rfi guy has connected his gear to my antenna and captured a signature but
nothing has come of it.  I helped him get the latest Radar Engineers receiver
by badgering the CEO, but there is a big disconnect between detection and
repair.  Might be time for another chat with the CEO.
Dave,  I can capture audio spectrum traces with the TS-890 but they aren't
synchronized with the power line so it's hard to analyze.  I have an ancient
TEK 465B out in the garage that I might drag out and try your experiment.
That's where I stand, missing good 160-meter DXpedition contacts. :-(
Wes  N7WS

    On Tuesday, March 5, 2024 at 02:35:12 PM MST, Jim Brown
<jim@audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:

 On 3/5/2024 11:30 AM, Wes Stewart via RFI wrote:
>  Not letting a good thread die, here is some more info.

Very interesting. No ideas. Sometimes additional information can be
gained from much wider waterfalls, both short time as you've done,
medium long, and very long. I always apply maximum averaging to the
spectrum, none to the waterfall.

Any observations about time of day?