Re: [RFI] Mystery Noise (Aren't they all)

To: Wes Stewart <n7ws@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Mystery Noise (Aren't they all)
From: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 17:49:22 +0000
At the Little Thompson Observatory in Berthoud, Colorado (starkids.org), we
had a very similar problem with a large irrigation water pump which, yes,
was fenced off and denied access for safety.  To make a long story short,
we found the installer had "cheaped out" and did not buy and install the
required RFI filter (the pumps were controlled using high-current PWM
controllers - ripe for RFI).  It was flagged as necessary per FCC on the
data sheet, but it cost a bit over $3k, so it was not installed.  Once that
was rectified with purchase and installation of the filter - we brought to
the attention of the installers that FCC required it - the RFI problem was
greatly attenuated, but not totally eliminated.

Dave - WØLEV

--

*Dave - WØLEV*