[RFI] Several USB cables - single toroid

To: RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Several USB cables - single toroid
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <pete.n4zr@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 21:45:49 -0500
I have about 8 USB cables in my station, two going directly to my computer and 6 to a hub.  I suspect some RFI because periodically- every couple of hours - a couple of USB devices - keyboard, mouse, Winkeyer - stop working.  Stopping and re-starting N1MM does not cure it - I have to restart Windows 10, and then it's OK again for a few hours.  There doesn't seem to be any correlation between the band in use and the problem - in fact, sometimes when I come back to the station after hours away, with N1MM left running, what was working has now stopped, and a computer restart is required.

I'm wondering if it is feasible/useful/foolish, with several USB cables going to a single physical location (back of computer, front of computer, hub) to wind the cables that terminate nearby together on a single big 31 core, or do I need one core per cable to be useful ?

--
73, Pete N4ZR