Re: [RFI] Several USB cables - single toroid

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Several USB cables - single toroid
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 22:11:52 -0800
On 2/18/2024 6:45 PM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
I'm wondering if it is feasible/useful/foolish, with several USB cables going to a single physical location (back of computer, front of computer, hub) to wind the cables that terminate nearby together on a single big 31 core, or do I need one core per cable to be useful ?

Hi Pete,

In general, I recommend one cable per core, primarily because the broad (at HF with #31 cores) parallel resonance strongly depends on capacitance between turns, conductor diameter, etc. Note also the photos and text in my "Killing Noise" application note; guidelines are the same for the gear as a source or victim.

IMPORTANT Note: the photos and associated text emphasize the critical importance of winding turns in order around the core; turns that "crossover" cancel. This is a fact I learned in the long study (2016-18) that produced the 2018 HF Cookbook.

I keep a stash of several sizes of #31 clamp-ons for this purpose. For these interconnecting cables and to most equipment, I like the 0.75-in i.d. part that W6EB turned me on to many years ago with a group purchase he organized. While it's larger than needed for smaller cables, it works fine, and the more we buy of a single part, the greater the discount from industrial vendors (which is the best place to buy them).

For about five years, I've been making most of my component purchases from Arrow, one of several good vendors who offer free overnight shipping for orders over $50 for anything that's in stock. When I need to add stuff to an order to hit that limit, I just add some cores. :)