Re: [RFI] Several USB cables - single toroid

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Several USB cables - single toroid
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 23:21:15 -0500
I'm not sure if that is RFI, it could be your hub issue or a bad cable.  Do
you really need that many USB cables and a hub? Excluding the mouse and
keyboard, I have only one station USB cable going to a MicroHam keyer on
each computer.  A long time ago I had an intermittent issue with the
MicroHam device.  I finally tried a different USB cable and the problem
never reappeared.

John KK9A

Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:

I have about 8 USB cables in my station, two going directly to my
computer and 6 to a hub.  I suspect some RFI because periodically- every
couple of hours - a couple of USB devices - keyboard, mouse, Winkeyer -
stop working.  Stopping and re-starting N1MM does not cure it - I have
to restart Windows 10, and then it's OK again for a few hours.  There
doesn't seem to be any correlation between the band in use and the
problem - in fact, sometimes when I come back to the station after hours
away, with N1MM left running, what was working has now stopped, and a
computer restart is required.

I'm wondering if it is feasible/useful/foolish, with several USB cables
going to a single physical location (back of computer, front of
computer, hub) to wind the cables that terminate nearby together on a
single big 31 core, or do I need one core per cable to be useful ?

--
73, Pete N4ZR