[RFI] Nice $11 Preamp for loop antenna

To: reflector RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Nice $11 Preamp for loop antenna
From: David Hachadorian <k6ll.dave@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 10:27:41 -0700
I have a WD8DSB Loop that I use as a noise sensing antenna for my MFJ 1026 Noise Cancellation unit.  I had an ARR P1-30 20 dB preamp on the loop before, but gain was inadequate, so I thought I would try one of these 30 dB preamps from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2NJSGV?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I installed the preamp in a 4" NEMA Box out at the loop yesterday, and powered it with an old 6VDC wall wart that puts out 9 VDC with the amp's minimal load.  Customer reviews say 9 VDC is the sweet spot for this amp.  The preamp is  giving me a ton more gain than the old ARR unit, and now I have plenty of noise signal to work with, even with the MFJ's internal preamp turned off!  The loop is located about 12 feet from the source of the noise (my neighbor's house), and the noise cancellation with the MFJ unit is spectacular!

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ