Re: [RFI] Several USB cables - single toroid

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Several USB cables - single toroid
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 23:10:33 -0800
On 2/21/2024 8:54 PM, K9MA wrote:
Polarity is just a simple case of 180 degrees out of phase.

Only at a single frequency.

But Phase has meaning only at a single frequency. A network will have a different phase shift for every frequency.

A length of transmission line will be 180 degrees at only one frequency.

If I want to drive two antennas 180 degrees out of phase for their entire bandwidth, the only way to do that is to reverse the polarity of one of them. If I add a half-wavelength to one at the center of their operating range, they will be 180 degrees out of phase at that frequency, but +/- some number of degrees as I move away from that frequency. If they are relatively broadband antennas, that can change their pattern enough to matter!