Re: [RFI] Source power pole located - but wonder which components most l

To: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Source power pole located - but wonder which components most likely temperature sensitive
From: Michael Carter via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 20:10:38 +0000
Thanks for mentioning the lightning shunts, Dave.
I didn't see any on the pole Alan identified as
the suspect one, but perhaps that's my eyesight.

There is a capacitor bank on the left-side pole
in Alan's photo, and it appears there may be lightning
shunts on those taps for the capacitors.

We rarely observe the failed/failing lightning
shunt source of arcing here even though we
do get lightning in the summer.  Jeff, W4DD
has commented on the prevalence of those
sources in the southeast U.S. (he's in Georgia)
where he does his RFI sleuthing.  The behavior
of those shunts is the opposite of what we
see with tie wire arcs - the failing shunts arc
more steadily in humid or actively precipitating
weather.  Tie wire arcs go quiet when wet enough.

73,
Mike, K8CN