[RFI] Source power pole located - but wonder which components most likel

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Source power pole located - but wonder which components most likely temperature sensitive
From: Alan Higbie <alan.higbie@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 10:30:18 -0700
I have located the source of the power line RFI.

The local utility RFI engineer (P.E.) has my RFI trouble ticket in the
queue. Hopefully within the next week or so.

But, now I'd like to gather ideas about WHICH COMPONENT(s) are the
likeliest suspects - so I can be as helpful as possible when the
utility guys show up.

Otherwise they'll go up with hot stick and wiggle components - which is how
they have located problem hardware in the past.

Background:

   1. This source produces approx. 30 dB increase in noise floor on 40
   meters. Similar on other bands.
   2. DF'ed: first with 40 meter beam; then with portable flag
   unidirectional antenna; then zero'ed in with 440 mHz 7 element yagi.
   Repeated process.
   3. Important clue: The RFI is steadier (and stronger) with lower
   temperatures. Example: absolutely horrible with outside air temp. of 0
   degrees F.  But, more of spitting intermittent irregular approx. 1-3
   impulses per second when temperature gets above 35 deg. F - and settles
   down at 40-45 deg. F.  All under windless conditions.
   4. I don't know enough about what hardware components on pole would be
   most likely to be temperature sensitive.

This reflector does not allow attachments.

So, I have temporarily uploaded a PHOTO to my QRZ.com page
https://www.qrz.com/db/K0AV

*Note:* The RFI is coming from the pole on the *RIGHT - NOT the one on the
left.*

Thanks for ideas.

73, Alan K0AV