Re: [RFI] Sinusoidal type noise on 6 meters

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Sinusoidal type noise on 6 meters
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 02:45:38 -0800
On 11/20/2023 1:16 AM, Jim Brown wrote:

This is clearly power-handling electronics,

Some tutorial thoughts for those with less technical background, and who have not taken the time to study enough to have earned their license, which both requires and depends upon technical competence! We have the operating permissions we do BECAUSE we supposed to be are technically competent. I am one of many who studied the ARRL License Manual to pass our license exams (me at age 14), but the responsible ham goes back and works to actually LEARN that stuff. For many of us, it led to a career in some form of electronics or communications. I ended up in broadcasting and pro audio; others put us on the Moon and Mars. K4BAI and W6OAT, both of whom I worked fairly often as teenagers, became lawyers and a bankruptcy judge. At age 82, I'm still trying to learn new stuff, and all my life I've tried to share what I've learned.

Traditional power supplies rectify to produce half-sine DC, which must be filtered to produce DC. Because the power frequency is 60 Hz, that requires larger filter caps (translate to more expensive and large).

Switch-mode power supplies include the traditional power supply, but then use that DC to produce square waves in the range of 10 kHz; their period is FAR shorter, so the required filter caps are MUCH smaller, and cheaper. As one of the earliest measures to save energy, switch-mode power supplies were mandated by law a couple of decades ago, but Congress failed to fund the FCC to enforce their own Rules (Federal Law) that required that they not cause harmful interference. It is safe to assume that 99.9% of these products are noise generators.