Re: [RFI] Sinusoidal type noise on 6 meters

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Sinusoidal type noise on 6 meters
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 01:16:06 -0800
On 11/19/2023 5:46 PM, Stephanie WX3K wrote:
I was finally able to capture it again with a wider span

hqdefault.jpg
November 19, 2023 <https://youtu.be/Haz0-f8s318>
youtu.be <https://youtu.be/Haz0-f8s318>

<https://youtu.be/Haz0-f8s318>

This is clearly power-handling electronics, the most common sources of which are switch-mode power supplies for equipment that convert 120V AC to the fairly low DC voltage used by almost everything that we plug into the wall. The average home has several dozen of these noise makers. Other common sources include controllers for variable-speed motors that run everything from HVAC systems and heat pumps to elevators in public buildings. Equipment in factories are another potential source.

This noise is NOT sinusoidal -- we're looking at frequency spectrum. Each one of those humps is a harmonic of the switching frequency used in the equipment generating the noise. What appears to be sinusoidal is modulation of the carrier by noise.

Now it's time to doing some direction finding. It's NOT power line noise, but it could be from a source connected to the power system, like lighting, chargers for battery backup, etc. But it's NOT the arcing (impulse noise) that is characteristic of virtually all noise generated by defective equipment in the power system itself.

Follow suggestions in my noise tutorial about probing for sources in your own home with a battery operated receiver. k9yc.com/publish.htm