Re: [RFI] Noisy Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS)

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noisy Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS)
From: David Colburn <qrv@kd4e.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 14:38:21 -0400
CyberPower 1500VA Sine Wave UPS.

Delivered from Costco - abysmally packed (only the display box, which was badly dented and torn).

Only scuffs to unit due to protection of corners and display by formed styrofoam.

Plugged in and it powered up and charged - pulled the plug and switched to backup mode. OK.

Using a Tecsun PL-600 I scanned the room on FM-BC, AM-BC, and up through SW - lots of existing

noise sources from computers and power supplies (hobby/radio room is all steel so no impact on

antenna-sourced reception).

Plugged in UPS and discovered that the RFI radiates only from one side - looking at the faceplate,

it would be the left side.

RFI is primarily AM-BC - 80 meters, after that it fades quickly.

Using a handheld 2/440 TYT I found no RFI on 2m or 440.

Obviously very crude testing but thought I'd share for consideration.

David, KD4E