Re: [RFI] Noisy Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS)

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noisy Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS)
From: Gary Johnson via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 16:11:35 -0700
Another vote for the Cyberpower consumer equipment noted by Jim as being free
of RFI. They also make larger units that are FCC Part 15 Class B certified.
Many larger UPSs are Class A (industrial) and more prone to problems. Also,
external battery packs may aggravate things due to radiation from the wires;
the charging waveforms can be quite dirty. If you want to read about a couple
of RFI mitigations, see this:
https://na6o.com/main/RFI_files/Tripp-Lite_UPS_RFI_Report.pdf

As for Eaton, I was responsible for EMC on the Gemini Planet Imager, and the
one big problem we had was a very large Eaton UPS. When it switched to battery
backup, it drove the 120V output differentially. That is, both the hot and
neutral were at 60V with opposite phase. That energized neutral raised havoc
with multiple pieces of equipment. We ultimately got another brand though I
can’t seem to remember which.

Gary Johnson NA6O
gwj@me.com