Re: [RFI] Tip on approach to, or where to start looking for new noise so

To: "Hare, Ed, W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Tip on approach to, or where to start looking for new noise source
From: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 22:13:01 +0000
Ed, when I bought my Microsoft Surface I, of course, had to run it by the
spectrum analyzers, probes, and antennas.  The surface, itself, looked
excellent from "DC" to 1 GHz (I quit at 1 GHz as there wasn't above 500
MHz).  Apple typically addresses RFI/EMC better than most (no, I'm not an
Apple man).  However, plugging in the provided charger...... well......it
was terrible.  It did not have the Apple name on it and I assume they
spec'ed and procured it from China, like most of the other wall warts these
days.  So, the MS Surface got a clean bill of EMC/RFI.  The charger did not!

On another job, we had to come up with a clean USB dedicated charger.
They're all switchers from China.  We searched the lab and managed to
borrow/scrounge 7 of the little white boxes.  Only one, yes, a single USB
charger, was relatively clean.  It was from Apple.

Dave - WØLEV

--
*Dave - WØLEV*