Re: [RFI] UPDATE re: Source power pole located - but wonder which compon

To: "Charlie@thegallos.com" <charlie@thegallos.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] UPDATE re: Source power pole located - but wonder which components most likely temperature sensitive
From: Michael Martin <mike@rfiservices.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 09:11:17 -0500
Charlie I'm sorry I don't have time to write I really thorough and long
response to your post. However, if you're purchasing and I are camera for
the use of Powerline noise you'll be wishing your money. It is not
economically feasible. I have been out with many infrared camera sales
people and Corona can people. I challenge them in a neighborhood that I
don't frequent and I tell them to find every Source they can find in the
neighborhood. I go out and I find every Power Line noise in the
neighborhood. We spend a couple of hours doing this and come back and
compare them. Rarely is there more than one source that are matching. Most
power line noises are created by very small sparks. It's unfortunate as
most amateur radio operators want to explain to the power companies that
these are all catastrophic failures and due to a lack of maintenance. That
is just not factual. The Sparks that create most of the power line noises
do not create Heat because of the lack of current flow. Most sources are
induced voltage into hardware near the primary conductor. As for ultrasound
it works wonderful however it's direct line of sight capabilities inhibit
finding a lot of the sources that are internal such as Lightning restors
Arc through insulation and conductors and things like that. I read most of
the input on this reflector and I wish I had time to comment on everything
but I don't. I spend just about every day locating Powerline noise for
power companies all over the country and I just can't find the time to
reply to post that I'd like to because I'm too busy finding noise. I use
ultrasound and RF every day I use the UE and the radar engineers. The radar
Engineers is the best piece of equipment out there and in no way should
anyone think they're going to find the average Source 200 ft away or even
60 ft away. The average power line noise from Hardware to ground is
typically no more than about 50 ft. On the average! I find over 90% of my
sources using ultrasound. Sometimes those sources are determined because I
can't receive it with ultrasound and that helps to point toward the source
as well as being able to hear it. And for red is not a good tool for
finding Powerline resources. My experience does not come from taking a
class and being certified. My experience comes from actually doing it and
time and time again finding the source a lot of times repairing it myself
to get a total understanding of why it happens as well as a lot of lab
reconstruction.
 Best wishes to everybody.

Michael Martin
RFI Services