Re: [RFI] Mystery Noise (Aren't they all)

To: "RFI@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>, Wes Stewart <n7ws@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Mystery Noise (Aren't they all)
From: Michael Carter via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:57:07 +0000
Hi Wes,

Your comment about the RFI abatement when you powered
down the house is key:

"In conversation with the tech a few days ago I offered to battery power my
TS-890 and turn off the whole house breaker.  When I did the noise went from
S9+10 dB down to about S4, but it was still there!   I re-energized the house
but opened the breaker to the shack and the noise was the same as with the
whole house turned off."

The dominant RFI source is in your shack.  Start unplugging power supplies one
at a time while keeping the radio
on the battery supply.  Be sure to disconnect UPS, if any, on both sides of the
unit.  Once you've found the culprit
you can decide where to dig the hole in the yard to bury it.  More seriously,
you can then start to look outside
the house for that S4 background noise.  Does the S4 background noise have the
same audio and spectral
characteristics as the dominant big RFI, or is it just low level hash?

I have found that on 160 meters my Dell monitor and Intel NUC box generate a
lot of obvious
noise, typically 20-30 dB over the background noise level when the computer and
monitor
are shut off.  I am sure this RFI is conducted via cables rather than being
picked up by
the antenna, so I have more bonding required as K9YC has advised.

73,
Mike, K8CN