Re: [RFI] Mystery Noise (Aren't they all)

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Mystery Noise (Aren't they all)
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 20:23:14 -0800
On 1/28/2024 7:50 PM, Wes Stewart via RFI wrote:
Any other suggestions?

Hi Wes,

Lots here.

http://k9yc.com/KillingReceiveNoise.pdf

Broadband RF spectrum analysis, including a long time waterfall, in the range where you're hearing it helps us figure out the nature of what we're looking for. That is, is it arcing or electronic stuff.

We have long known the characteristics of arcing, and to chase it at the highest frequency where we hear it. With electronically generated stuff, we must chase it where we hear it.

NK7Z developed this excellent methodology using a low cost SDR RX ($120 at HRO). Software to run it is free. Dave provides lots of detailed setup instructions.

https://www.nk7z.net/sdr-rfi-survey-p1/

Armed with what we learn from both this collection of information, we use traditional DFing techniques. It provides time of day info, allows us to distinguish between multiple sources by how they drift in frequency. Time tells us when to look, identifying the different sources can prevent us from wild goose chases, or even let us chase one, then the other.

My app note lists several battery-operated tools I've used. They include a pretty good Tecsun AM/FM/shortwave RX that sells for about $40. A very broadcast engineer pointed me to it years ago.

If it's arcing, I have the broadband RX in both my mobile FM rig and my talkie programmed with frequencies in the VHF and UHF range, starting at 160 MHz, and four more up to about 550 MHz where the general coverage stops. The antenna is a vertical whip, either a mag mount or a trunk lip mount.

Since I'm chasing arcing, I drive around tuned to 160 MHz, and as the noise gets louder, I switch higher in frequency. When it gets really loud, I get out of the car with the talkie at that highest frequency and walk around. One trick I learned at one of the Fox Hunts of the Chicago-area club of which I was a member was to hold the talkie right against my chest, giving it a half-space pattern.

Don't limit yourself to tools you own -- check with members of local clubs to borrow stuff.