Re: [RFI] FW: 65-foot cell tower in Chandler golf community can't be sto

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] FW: 65-foot cell tower in Chandler golf community can't be sto
From: Steve Dyer W1SRD via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 15:25:33 -0800
Cellular service was down within minutes of both the Paradise fire and the Lahaina fire starts. Alert notifications were never received if even sent in many disasters across the country the past few years. If you are placing your trust in the cell companies to provide robust, reliable and resilient systems you are putting your life in THEIR hands. There are no regulations that force the cell providers to have any backup at their sites yet the government agencies now use cell as a primary notification system.

We took that lesson to heart here in El Dorado County after the Paradise and Caldor fires and built a network of GMRS repeaters that cover most of the county. Handheld and mobile radios are provided to locals at cost. Most are refurbished commercial radios we get from eBay buys. We also run weekly nets and training sessions to get people familiar with how to use their radios and net protocol. We were very fortunate this year that no major fires broke out in the western US and it is easy to be complacent and enjoy the respite, but it won't stay this way for long...

See https://www.cera.org and feel free to donate instead of griping and navel gazing.

73,
Steve
W1SRD
GMRS: WREN371

If you live in an area that has tropical storms, hurricanes or forest fires you
will appreciate cellular service. Tropical Storm Sandy slammed into coastal New
Jersey and I lost power, cable and landline service for 15 days. The cellphone
was our lifeline. In the worst secnario the test messages got through.

Do you have one of those freebe senior citizen flip-phones? Make sure the
texting works.

Mike N2MS