Re: [RFI] Refrigerator RFI

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Refrigerator RFI
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 17:24:42 -0700
On 9/7/2023 5:04 PM, Jim McCook wrote:
We suddenly need a new refrigerator, so am looking to find out which ones are RFI generators and which ones are established as clean. Any input?

Virtually all electronics runs on some form of SMPS; some products may have variable-speed motor controllers. Most noise is conducted to the power cord, then to house wiring. All of that AC wiring radiates. An easy fix is a serious common mode choke on the AC cable as close as practical to where it enters the unit. A good starting point for HF is as many turns as you can wind IN SEQUENCE (that is, NOT scrambled) through the Fair-Rite #31 1-in i.d. clamp-on. Depending on the cable, I can usually get 4, sometimes 5.

I've got a fairly small Samsung French Door top with pull-out drawer freezer below, that's 3 years old, and a Kenmore Elite, same size and configuration, that's a few years older. Wires for 80, 40, and 30 are up 100-125 ft, closest run overhead of both. Neither are bothering me. I think motors in both either run or they don't.