Re: [RFI] LED Street lights

To: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>, Jim McCook <w6ya@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] LED Street lights
From: "Hare, Ed, W1RFI via RFI" <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 11:20:37 +0000
One of those FCC lawyers, Dave, it the very reason that ARRL's process to
resolve RFI cases with the FCC exists at all.  Riley Hollingsworth and ARRL Lab
staff created that process from the ground up.  Another one of those lawyers,
Laura Smith,  is the reason that the process continued when Riley retired from
the FCC.  She is far from what you describe, Dave, and although she is not as
knowledgeable as ARRL staff on RFI issues, she has intentionally learned a lot
about the subject -- well enough to apply her own expertise and work with ARRL
on RFI issues and, when needed, use contact from the FCC to help move cases
towards resolution.

The process is not perfect, but it has made a major difference, not only to
resolve a lot of cases, but also to raise awareness of the importance of
manufacturers and operators of noisy devices to follow the FCC rules.  The two
FCC lawyers I described have done as much to resolve RFI as the ARRL Lab staff,
in their own ways, yet you have insulted them using some pretty nasty terms.
DO you really believe that to be helpful?

Yes, ARRL does a lot to help resolve RFI issues, on a number of levels, but it
is NOT because of FCC legal incompetence.  One need to look no farther than
this list to see that there are a lot of misunderstandings about RFI amongst
amateurs and no small number of incorrect identifications of RFI noise sources.
ARRL works with the amateurs involved in RFI to ensure that the cases that are
reported to the FCC are reported accurately. We are probably batting .950, with
95% of the cases reports being 100% appropriate.

What the ARRL Lab does is essentially:

o Work with the involved amateur to first determine whether the RFI problem is
"harmful interference" as defined in the FCC rules.  Other interference can
still be resolved, but it is often helpful to recognize whether FCC would see a
case as "harmful interference" or not. (This is another looonnnggg story...)

o Determine that the correct source has been identified.

o Determine whether simple filtering solutions could resolve the interference.

o Identify the operator of noisy devices and determine whether reasonable
attempts have been made to secure cooperation and assistance.

If all of that is done, and solutions are not forthcoming and/or cooperation is
not happening, then the case is well prepared to go to the FCC.   About half of
the cases involve misidentification, or unrealistic expectations in some way,
and if 50% of what got reported to the FCC turned out to be wrong, then amateur
radio would be seen as the incompetent factor and the FCC would not take action
in most of the cases.

Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Lab Volunteer