Re: [RFI] LED Street lights

To: RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] LED Street lights
From: Jim McCook <w6ya@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 17:31:48 +0000
Ed, In every RFI case I've had involving LED lighting in fixtures like chandeliers, the solution has been to either isolate the switching power supply from the line with a Corcom filter, or in the case of LED strip lighting, those supplies had to be replaced with magnetic transformers.  The AC line in those houses were obviously radiating.  Those neighbors understood their responsibility.  I donated the Corcom filters. Does this not place these situations as Part 15 Subpart B unintentional radiators via the AC wiring in the house, which is non-compliant?

The only situation I was unable to resolve with a hostile neighbor was with his Jandy multispeed swimming pool motor.  It's obviously radiating via the line, but FCC refused to recognize it as a problem, despite the 20 KHz wide moving interference on several bands reaching S-7, where noise level was otherwise S-3/4.  I was told "you can still use your radio."

Now I have a neighbor involved in an extensive remodel who is using low voltage wiring throughout the house for his LED lighting.  Of course he installed switching power supplies.  I gave him a copy of the WSJ article that was normally helpful to orient neighbors to FCC regulation of RFI, but he refused to read it, saying that his electricians are under contract and will finish the job as planned.  He said any changes will be my financial responsibility to his electricians; otherwise he will see me in court.  I would guess the wiring on both sides of the switching supplies is radiating.

I have no faith in FCC any longer, so without their help, I am planning for the expense to make those changes.  The hostile pool pump neighbor is just starting to build an ADU/office, so I can expect the same resistance from him.  I can't help but think FCC has failed me completely.

If anyone wants a copy of the WSJ 2014 article, please send me Email.  It is very helpful with reasonable neighbors.    73, Jim W6YA