Re: [RFI] LG 12,000 BTU Model Advice

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] LG 12,000 BTU Model Advice
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2023 22:26:58 -0800
On 2/1/2023 9:54 PM, Dave (NK7Z) wrote:
Hi James,

If it were me I would do the following:

Visit a store which has the exact same AC unit I am interested in, in stock.  I'd then ask to turn it on.  I'd bring a portable shortwave radio with me, and a very short antenna on a coax cable.

Great advice -- IF (and it's a VERY big IF) there aren't dozens of other stuff in the showroom making noise. Also, the radios suggested in my RFI tutorial may be a better choice. The TH-F6A has a loopstick in the base that's the default below 10 MHz, the SMA connector defaults above 10 MHz, and a menu setting can toggle between them. The Tecsuns are also very nice radios. I would do my probing on the AC cable right at the unit, and on any other cables that might be present.

I would then
probe for RFI, around the AC unit, and along the power cord of the unit, while turned on, and while turned off.  Once I had a feel for the unit, I would unplug it to see if anything changed...  If I found no RFI, or very little RFI, I would buy that unit on the spot, and make sure I got the one I was looking at, not a different one.

If I heard a little RFI, I would not worry too much about it, "a little", is a relative term...

I would also bring a number of Mix31 ferrites with me that will go around the AC cord of the AC unit, and drop them on at the AC unit where the AC cord enters the AC units case.

The weapon of choice would be the 1-in i.d. #31 clamp-on, and for HF noise, I'd carefully wrap 3-5 turns thru the core, being careful to wind the turns in sequence around the core (no crossovers). I'd listen on both sides of the choke -- noise should die moving away from the choke. Also, very important -- bring a suitable extension cord at least 20 ft long to use between the A/C and the outlet to simulate house wiring, and repeat the test, listening as you move the probe along the cable all the way to the outlet. If you do hear noise, the choke helps but you still hear it, add a second choke on the cable from the A/C, not on the extension cord.
 I would then listen to how much
RFI I pick up on the AC power cord, and in general, all around the unit.  Again, if little to no RFI...  I'd buy it.

If I discovered serious RFI at any of these stages, I'd move on...

A primary source of noise from anything with a motor is a variable-speed controller for it. I suggest avoiding any such animal, which operates by varying the speed or pulse width of a string of rectangular waves. In addition to being radiated from the AC cable, it often escapes by failure to treat the wiring carrying that pulse train as a transmission line, so the noise escapes both as a magnetic field and as an E-M field (that is, antenna action).