Re: [RFI] Noise Level During Power Outage

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noise Level During Power Outage
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2023 00:33:46 -0800
On 1/31/2023 9:21 PM, K9MA wrote:
My QTH is in an older residential area, surrounded by overhead power lines. Line noise is a constant problem. We recently had a major power outage, so I measured the noise levels to get a baseline with little line noise.

Hi Scott,

How do you know that it's line noise, not electronic noise? 25 years ago, line noise was a good assumption for anything we heard on the bands, but in almost any developed area, the average home has a couple of dozen electronic sources, everything from switch-mode power supplies for everything that plugs into the wall, variable speed controllers for motors, computers and lots of other stuff with microprocessors in them, and on, and on. When the power goes out, so do all of those electronic noise sources (except for those that UPSs keep running).

The slides for talks I've done at Pacificon, Visalia, and to some clubs, show how to use a well-adjusted waterfall to differentiate between impulse noise (which is what line noise is) and electronic noise.

http://k9yc.com/KillingReceiveNoise.pdf

Yes, those with ear experience can nearly always tell the difference.

NK7Z has wonderful advice and resources on his site about using 24 hour very wide waterfalls to yield clues about operating hours of both impulse and electronic sources, and also recognizing multiple electronic sources.