Re: [RFI] Powerline noise question

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Powerline noise question
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2022 17:18:42 -0500
Hi Richard,

Great recording.

Definitely does not sound like electric fence and I would initially say
it’s poweline noise (listening on my phone) and not a regular pattern at
all but when I get some free time in the next few days I will use some
software to look at it.  Based on the sound and based on it going away when
it rains I would say poweline noise with very high confidence but let’s see
what other experts say.  Should be pretty darn easy to get very close to
the suspect pole with the portable flag before going to VHF to determine
the actual pole if it is power line noise, just stay away from overhead
lines when determining direction and attenuation is your friend.  Even if
it’s not poweline noise you should be able to find that bad boy easily
because it’s not a constant noise (has variability to it which really helps
distinguish it from other sources of noise).

If possible look at the signal using a SDR display / pan adapter before
heading out to determine what bands and frequency you hear it well, and
this will be helpful to your decision making about what frequency or
frequencies to use while out DFing it.

73,
Don wd8dsb