Re: [RFI] Powerline noise question

To: Frank W3LPL <donovanf@starpower.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Powerline noise question
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2022 13:10:32 -0500
Richard,

One last comment.  I guess an electric fence might also use ac just stepped
up along with a current limit resistor and then just have it active for a
brief amount of time every second to allow an animal to break free but I’m
not familiar with those systems if they exist.

I am curious to hear your RFI burst if you can upload a recording of it.

Don

On Sat, Dec 31, 2022 at 11:55 AM Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> I never stop thinking, and you originally said you were encountering 120
> Hz noise bursts but I don't know how you determined it had 120 Hz
> component.  As Frank mentioned the approximate 1 Hz repetition which goes
> away when it rains is what one might expect with an electric fence but I
> would not expect a typical repetitive electric fence discharge system (one
> that discharges every second) to have a specific 120 hertz component as the
> "transmitter" normally is just a capacitor charged to a very high DC
> voltage which is then momentarily connected to a pulse transformer primary
> to discharge the capacitor which greatly steps up the voltage to thousands
> of volts (but with limited energy) so there is no specific relationship
> with 120 Hz.  There is likely a huge amount of harmonics generated unless
> the pulse is intentionally shaped which I believe some companies are now
> trying to do in order to try and limit the harmonic content.  The high
> voltage generation concept is similar to how a conventional Xenon tube
> flash circuit works in photography.  Can you upload a recording of your
> noise burst so we have a better idea of what you are hearing/seeing?  But
> as others have said I never try and guess what the source is other than to
> try and determine if it is power line related noise because if it's not
> power line noise then I might not pack my vehicle with as much VHF and UHF
> DF gear.
>
> Don (wd8dsb)
>
> On Thu, Dec 29, 2022 at 11:51 PM Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Frank,
>>
>> Great comment about the electric fence, and I previously dealt with an
>> electric fence case at W9RE and it indeed had a rate of approximately 1
>> second.  It was a very brief discharge every second and if I were to
>> describe it, it sounded like tick, tick, tick with each tick being spaced a
>> second apart (the ticks were very brief).  We were able to hear it at great
>> distances just using my old car AM radio that has no noise blanker
>> technology whereas it could not be heard on a modem cars radio that Mike
>> W9RE had.  I believe most modern car radios have noise blanker technology
>> that makes them less useful for RFI detection.
>>
>> Don wd8dsb
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 29, 2022 at 11:23 PM Frank W3LPL <donovanf@starpower.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Richard,
>>>
>>> I forgot to mention that electric fence RFI typically has
>>> a definitive repetition cycle similar to what you described
>>> and often goes away during rain.
>>>
>>> 73
>>> Frank