Re: [RFI] Fwd: Water treatment system RFI?

To: RFI@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Fwd: Water treatment system RFI?
From: KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 20:30:43 -0700
"Wonder if I could just throw some pellets down the well every week."

Random thoughts...

Recollection of how bad it was when the devices came out aside, the Livermore research, revealing them as ineffective years before they hit the market is insightful. It's been nearly thirty years since that report.

I'd look at it this way:

What is needed?

What are ALL the available ways to resolve the issue?

What is inexpensive, easy to do, and affective?

Since softening, and treatment systems go back many, many decades, if not more (this could centuries old for all I know, I grew up in a house with a softener from the 20's, or 30's), what was absolutely affective before gimmicks?

An example, in my case, a filtration system. A spin down separator, with timer, purge valve, et cetera, ~$2,500 for parts, maybe another grand for installation, not counting myself, or someone else checking it, and power to operate it.

The reality: I can buy three stainless steel filter housings, with SS filters, large enough for the house, and irrigation system at full flow, combined, with enough space for debris that only needs to be checked once a year, if not less often, ~$450, and some pipe fittings. Purge valve, should I think opening the drain once a year is too much? A single station sprinkler timer, and an electric valve, so maybe another $50-$75 retail.

Now, some can't do this on their own, and $$$$ may be the quick easy, never have to think about it route, which is also fine, I have a friend who pours money into everything. The difference is often kiloBucks. Another example. I recently spent ~$3k for well service, because I had no idea how to work on all the equipment a couple hundred feet down an 8" hole. The fellow let me help. A lot of notes, and several photos later, with some research, I now have experience, and tools to do it myself, at a fraction of the cost.

But, yeah, in short, it may be a pellet in the well a week.

Kurt