[3830] NCCC Sprint K8CN LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K8CN@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NCCC Sprint K8CN LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2023 03:20:44 +0000
                    NCCC Sprint - Dec 8

Call: K8CN
Operator(s): K8CN
Station: K8CN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs): 0.5

  160:   3      3
   80:   9      8
   40:  19     16
   20:   5      4
Total:  36     31  Total Score = 1,116

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Heard only a couple weak signals on 15 buried in my local power line arc noise,
none worked.  20 not as productive as some weeks, but 40 meters - to quote N3QE,
"WOWZA!" I cut my TX power on 80 back to 40 watts, probably should
have gone there sooner but for fear of locking up the logging computer.  No
lockup at 40 watts, but there were oddities. Loud signals on 160 tonight - and I
worked them! Definitely a night for the lower bands here. And breaking 1
kilo-points? - hey, I'll take it even with the arc buzz bustin' my ears!

Funny story: I've been plagued by very loud (S9 +10 dB on 80 meters) power line
arc noise for about a month now, but haven't gone out DF'ing it yet.  On the way
home from an errand today I see the local utility field engineer out with his
Radar Engineers receiver/log periodic dipole array.  Stopped to chat and asked
why he was in my neighborhood when I hadn't filed a report yet.  Turns out their
own line crews reported not having VHF communication when working in this area,
so they dispatched their RFI sniffer to ferret it out.  He promised to locate it
and quench it - the locating part went well, but they need homeowner permission
to enter the property to fix it.  Things are looking up......

Many thanks for the fun tonight, and 73,
MikeNH