Re: [TowerTalk] Exothermic welding mold

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Exothermic welding mold
From: "Jim Lux" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 13:58:23 -0400

On Sun, 13 Aug 2023 09:50:52 -0700, David Gilbert <ab7echo@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>
The powder is available on eBay.  The powder comes in pre-measured
containers depending upon the size of the mold it was intended for, and
there is always a bit of fine powder at the top for easier ignition.  If
you lose that fine powder, it can be difficult to fire off the shot
because it is a reduction (versus oxidation) reaction, but a cheap 4th
of July sparkler will do the trick quite nicely.
<snip>

I've used a piece of magnesium ribbon as a "fuse" - Getting sparklers (legally)
can be a challenge in fire prone states (For instance, I'll bet it's hard to
get them in Los Angeles or Ventura County)