Re: [TenTec] Come On Guys

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Come On Guys
From: Gary J FollettDukes HiFi <dukeshifi@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 12:49:20 -0500
Back to something more topic-related:

I have an Argonaut 5 that is, perhaps, the least repairable radio even built.

I can’t believe that the same design team that gave us the Orion (the MOST
repairable radio ever produced, IMHO) could have produced this disaster.

I am at the point of parting it out.

Here is what works:

1) Display
2) Logic board
3) Power amp

The analog board receives well and the radio makes a nifty receiver.

In transmit, the thing puts out about 8 watts with a frequency of about 4 MHz
regardless of the band switch setting and has severe distortion (lots of peaks
on the spectrum analyzer).

The circuitry past the 450 KHz filter from the DSP is oscillating to produce
this output at the antenna connector. (I have already done the obvious,
replacing all of the little electrolytic caps on the board.)

My hesitance to pursue it further stems from the fact that a previous person
attempted to correct the problems and left enough things out of sorts as to
foil logical troubleshooting.

To make matters worse, it would appear that Ten Tec had about 6 people drawing
up different parts of the schematic and not one of them knew the telephone
number of any of the others.

The result is a schematic that is a hodgepodge mess, part of it readable, part
not, not sell-consistent and completely impossible to link in a unified drawing
such as I made for the Collins KWM-2 (and published).

I have too much to do to try to make cable fixtures to allow troubleshooting
this thing with the analog board on the desktop. If one had these three cables,
the process would not be TOO bad…

I first offer this complete for $300. Cosmetically near perfection.

If no interest, then let me know what parts you need and I will part it out.

Gary

W0DVN