Re: [TenTec] Orion freezes due to RFI??

To: Rick@dj0ip.de, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion freezes due to RFI??
From: Henry Gardiner <hgard1@airmail.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 19:47:11 -0600
Rick,
Here is what I used to bypass the speaker output jack on my RX-350D aka JUPITER rcvr.
0.1 uF disc capacitors go to ground from each of the three pins on the jack that have traces going to them. Also a three-winding common-mode blocking transformer. I used three lengths of 22 ga magnet wire twisted together at a convenient rate. This was wound through the FT50-72 core 5 times. This was interposed in the circuit between the jack pins and the nearby pcb connectors using a Dremel tool with fiberglass cutting disk to cut the three traces. AAACK!!! Use the same winding polarity in each case. Ie, if the counterclockwise end of a winding goes to a speaker jack pin, so should the counterclockwise end of the other windings go to their respective speaker jack pins.
Might try this first with just the three 0.1 uF disc caps plus your external clamp-on ferrite choke. That might eliminate the need for the transformer and the cut traces. Or you may end up using the transformer, caps and clamp-on choke.
Basic parameters: Each winding is about 100 ohms at 1 mHz. The caps are something like 1.5 ohms at 1 Mhz. The toroid data is in the ARRL Handbook in the chapter "Component Data".
This schematic expects a mono-spaced font like Courier or Courier new. Might be easier to cut it and paste it into an editor and change the font there.
Perhaps we should let this get reviewed for a while before one of us invests the time in drawing the schematic more formally.

73,
Henry AC5LA

J3
+--++ J5
To | ||2-+ Rear Panel Spkr Jack
Speaker | || |
| ||1-)--+ +---+-----------------o----------
+--++ | | Xformer| | /|\ .
| | .___ | | +--o----| .
| +---UUU--+ | | . ++
| .___ | +-------+----)--o--------\ ||
+------UUU------)-+ | | \/ ||
J4 | .___ | +----)----+--o-------------++
+--++ | +---UUU------)----+ |
To | ||2-+ | | | |
HdPhones | || | | | |
Jack | ||1----+ --- --- ---
+--++ --- --- --- 0.1 uF 25V
| | | x 3 disc ceramic
| | | Connect caps to three terminals on speaker
| | | jack with traces leading to them from pcb
| | | connectors.
GND GND GND
GND:
Trace Leading