Re: [TenTec] Orion freezes due to RFI??

To: dick.green@valley.net, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion freezes due to RFI??
From: Jason Buchanan <jsb@digistar.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 15:26:50 -0500
Dick Green wrote:

I believe RFI succeptibility is a distinct possibility.

I experienced RFI problems when using an external speaker with my Jupiter. The speaker wire is about 6 feet long - I resolved the problem by clamping a few ferrite snap-ons right before the speaker jack connector on the back of the radio. I ran the wire through the ferrites 3 or 4 times (depending on the size of the hole in the bead). They are about an inch apart. My RF problems went away after that.

I have not experienced this problem using headphones and I also have a serial cable plugged in to the serial port (CAT purposes), also an audio cable from the accessory port to the input jack of my computer, keying loop RCA cables also. None of these seemed to change the RF problem, only by disconnecting the external speaker did I get any relief but the ferrite beads eliminated the problem.

Regarding the beads, 2 turns won't do much, 3 is better, 4 is very nice. I have 4 beads in total. Problem eliminated.

regards, Jason N1SU