Re: [RFI] Interfering signal on 40 meter

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>, Chuck Gooden <Chuck.Gooden@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Interfering signal on 40 meter
From: "Ken Gordon" <kgordon2006@frontier.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 14:35:52 -0700
On 21 Mar 2024 at 14:58, Chuck Gooden wrote:

> You will have to post a lot more details here like a waterfall from
> HDSDR or some other SDR receiver if you have one. If you can turn off
> all of your breakers in your house or apartment and run the radio on
> battery.
>
> Or turnoff all of your breakers EXCEPT the one for the radio.  If the
> noise is still there run an extension cord to an outlet on a different
> breaker.  Then turn on that breaker and shut off the break that
> powered your radio.  If the noise is still there it most likely
> inside your house and probably in your ham shack.
>
> Are there other frequencies that you hear the signal on?  Try tuning
> up and down and see if it repeats.  Also be sure to check harmonics
> above and below 7103 Khz (ie 3.551, 2,367 mhz and 14,206, 21,309 ect)
>
> I had a Unifi network switch that generated S9 noise level across a
> lot of frequencies.
>
> If its not in your house its time to start DFing the signal.
>
> Chuck K9LC

OK, and thanks.

At this point, it is looking as though it is either in my own home, or very
nearby.

First thing I am going to do is to check harmoically related frequencies. Due
to the signal
strength, I suspect I won't hear any.

Then to fire up the radio on a battery. It has a DC supply built ini and the
receiver is all
solid-state so the current needed is only about 1.4 amps.

I have another rig, a Yaesu FT-890, which I could power with a battery.

Also, I do own a very capablie but old DF unit: a Stoddart NM-20 with all
accessories. It is
cumbersome but works very well. I have used it in the past and was pleased with
its
performance.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ken W7EKB