Re: [RFI] Mysterious K3 Symptoms - RFI?

To: Pete Smith N4ZR <pete.n4zr@gmail.com>, RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Mysterious K3 Symptoms - RFI?
From: Michael Carter via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 14:40:36 +0000
Hi Pete,

I've not operated an amplifier at the home QTH,
but have had similar experience with my K3
even at 5 watts TX power.  The temporary reduction in
receive gain, resettable by tweaking the
AF gain control,  and the intermittent HI CURR
warning in RX mode was ultimately traced to a failing
electrolytic filter capacitor - in my Astron linearly
regulated power supply!  When I tested that
large electrolytic, its ESR was off the charts.
The nominally regulated 13.8 VDC was dropping
at 120 Hz rate because of the capacitor's high ESR and
causing greatly increased current demand to
compensate for it.  The voltage regulator didn't have
the bandwidth to counteract the high ripple amplitude
and frequency on its input.

Changed supplies and the problem ceased to exist.

I am wondering if your K3 power supply is sensitive
to AC line voltage variations possibly caused by
the KPA1500 even though the KPA1500 must be
running from a separate 240 VAC circuit?

73,
Mike, K8CN