[RFI] RFI - 2018 Jeep Wrangler

To: Rfi List <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] RFI - 2018 Jeep Wrangler
From: Stephanie WX3K via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 16:18:58 -0500
I own a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport unlimited. In general, I Love the vehicle.

I just finished installing the following gear for the first time:

Yaesu FT-817
Elecraft KXPA-100

I devised a custom mount for a 102” whip on the corner of the Jeep. FT817 is
mounted on a slide mount where the dash tray is. I have a Yaesu FT8900R and
DR235 installed along with a 10 watt Motorola amplified speaker for a number of
years now. I designed a power pole distribution system for the rigs along with
a audio distribution that combines all three rigs into the amplified speaker.

Today was the first time i tuned up the KXPA-100 with the FT-817 as I just
finalized the interface cable that controls the amp from the 817. It works !
Bands were dead today though so no contacts. I can run full power on 17 with
zero issues. On 40 meters, the RF gets into the anti-skid system and computer.
Joy. I do have some audio RFI issues on 10 meters.

Not surprising considering. Rather similar to issues i had in my 2003 Subaru
Forester but on 40 the RF would completely stall the engine when the rig is
keyed up.

I do have ignition “spark” noise and other hash noise on 40 meters and other
bands. Again not surprising. I have done zero bonding on the hood to date so
that is my first target. The antenna mount is bonded to the frame in the rear
of the vehicle.

I certainly have work to do yet.

Has anyone else worked thru RFI issues on a late model Jeep Wrangler ?

Stephanie