Re: [RFI] Filtering 220VAC : Success

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Filtering 220VAC : Success
From: Frank W3LPL <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 15:26:12 -0400 (EDT)
Please be very careful about applying W9IP's experience before his
good advice causes major property loss or someone gets badly hurt
or worse...

Capacitors must never -- must never! -- be connected to AC mains
unless they are clearly marked as X-Class or Y-Class.
No exceptions!  Human life is at stake!

Capacitors not clearly marked as X-Class or Y-Class must never
--must never!-- be connected to AC line voltage. They must -- must! --
be behind a fuse or circuit breaker or other suitable AC line
protection device.
No exceptions!  Human life is at stake!

Capacitors connected between AC line voltage and the AC neutral line
must -- must! -- have self-healing properties in case of arc-over.
Acceptable capacitors are always very clearly marked as X-Class,

Capacitors connected between AC line voltage and ground must -- must--
use a capacitor that will never -- will never! -- fail as a short
circuit from AC line to ground, which can compromise safety and human
life.  Capacitors designed for safe connection between AC lines and
ground are always clearly marked as Y-Class

Safety first.   Please!

73
Frank
W3LPL