Re: [RFI] Filtering 220VAC

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Filtering 220VAC
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 07:23:50 -0400
Hi Jim,

You said "The neutral is NOT run to a 240V outlet, only the two phase (hot)
conductors and green" and I think there needs to be a little clarification,
especially for those that might be dealing with outlets that feed Ranges or
Dryers.

Back in the late 80's or possibly early 90's NEC required that for new
construction 220 volt outlets for Ranges and Clothes Dryers must be 4 wire
outlets (2 hot wires, Neutral, Ground) whereas before that time 220 volt
outlets for Ranges and Dryers were normally 3 wires (2 hot wires and
Neutral).  Notice I said 3 wire 220 volt outlets used a Neutral (not
ground), but in function there was very little difference since the Neutral
eventually does tie back to ground in the panel box.  I'm not an expert on
the NEC rules so I don't know what if any additional changes have
occurred.  I do believe there is an exception (Grandfather Rule) to the 4
wire outlet situation if you buy a modern Range or Dryer if your house was
built with a 3 wire 220 Volt outlet that allows you to use a conversion kit
or follow instructions provided with the appliance that ties the Neutral
and case Ground back together in the appliance.

I only mention the above because I was recently asked about it by a friend
who purchased a new Range and his house was an older home equipped with a 3
wire 220 volt outlet so the information is still somewhat fresh in my mind.

Just FYI, and 73.
Don (wd8dsb)