Re: [RFI] Filtering 220VAC

To: <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "'Rfi List'" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Filtering 220VAC
From: <nlsa@nlsa.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 18:45:26 -0400
Dear Jim & all,

Thanks to everyone for their responses on- and off-net.  It has been unanimous
that the neutral wire should not be excluded in add-on filters.

My question was an product of an RFI problem that I'm currently hunting and
which has so far eluded capture.  It is coming from the Variable Frequency
Drive for the elevation mechanism of my EME antenna
(https://www.qrz.com/db/W9IP ).  When the elevation VFD is powered on (but not
running) it raises my noise floor by about 0.6 dB (HFers, don't laugh).  I
spent all day adding chokes and bypassing the 220VAC input, but recent posts
tell me that I wound the common mode chokes improperly.  No perceptible noise
is being emitted through the output of the VFD, its LAN connection, or other
related control lines... just the AC power.  Tomorrow I will re-wind the chokes.

W9IP