Re: [RFI] RFI in LG TV

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI in LG TV
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 12:42:01 -0700
On 8/12/2023 12:14 PM, Jim McCook wrote:
If I remove the HDMI input there is still video displayed, including the input fault, but I can transmit all day without RFI affecting it.

Remember "The Pin One Problem," whereby RF is conducted in AND out of a device because the cable shield is not bonded to the shielding enclosure AT THE POINT OF ENTRY! Virtually consumer equipment, has this defect, and all of the ham gear I've seen has it at accessory I/O. For most ham gear, the only I/O properly bonded are antenna connectors, and some accessory antenna I/O are not. The original Elecraft transverters I bought used in 2003 were built with insulated RF connectors, and the two that I owned were unstable.

Bottom line -- if there's an RFI issue, ferrite chokes designed for the frequencies of interest should be applied to every cable connected to the device or noise source. For HF and VHF, the weapon of choice is Fair-Rite #31. Their #43 is useful at VHF, #61 at low UHF.