Re: [RFI] RFI In LG TV

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI In LG TV
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 12:15:29 -0700
On 8/12/2023 11:36 AM, David Eckhardt wrote:
I have a smaller LG TV in my radio room.  I can turn it on or off with just
10-watts or a bit less as long as an antenna of any kind is connected to
the TV (even an 18" cliplead) .  No antenna, no problem - but, of course,
no TV.

Maybe 10 years ago, fellow NCCC member W4UAT gave me a 24-in Samsung monitor that turned on and off with RF. As I recall, it had touch controls to turn it on and off, maybe more functions. Larry lived on a small lot, with antennas quite close. I used it for a bit, had that problem only on one or two bands where antennas were close to the house. I think it might have also made noise, don't recall.

I blamed the problem on the touch controls, which like touch lamps, have very high-Z circuitry that is virtually impossible to fix. By then, I'd already discovered 24-in Samsung monitors at Costco that run on 14VDC, without touch controls, that are RF quiet when not run on their supplied SMPS wall warts. Between us, W6GJB and I own about ten of them that we use in the shack, his contesting trailer, and as extension screens for laptops. All are powered from our own 12-14VDC systems. I mostly use 12V batteries floated from linear warts.

Newer monitors and receivers are mostly run from higher DC voltages. Last I looked, 20V or so was common. I re-gifted that touch-controlled Samsung to a neighbor.