[RFI] Possible interloper or RFI on 2 meters

To: RFI@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Possible interloper or RFI on 2 meters
From: "Kenneth G. Gordon" <kgordon2006@frontier.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 12:55:00 -0700
Although I am not certain that this forum addresses the issue I am about to
mention, I
thought I better start here.

I am finding what I suspect is an "interloper" on 2 meters, specifically
146.405 MHz, in the
Spokane, Washington area.

I am not at all certain that what I am hearing is NOT supposed to be there, but
it seems too
annoying to NOT mention.

There is a periodic signal being keyed on that frequency of what sounds like a
gas engine
running at high RPM. What I am hearing MAY be some form of telemetry, or some
form of
digital information, but I have not heard a similar signal ever.

There is a new DMR station of some sort, possibly a repeater, near or maybe
even on that
frequency, but I have not yet been able to determine this with any certainty.

First, do DMR repeaters identify themselves by a repeated signal of similar
sound, a
high-speed, open-exhaust system gasoline engine running?

If not, and this IS some sort of interloper, how do we track this down?

I happened to run into it due a local EMCOMMS group attempting to establish
some form of
calling frequency, somewhat similar in use to 146.52 MHz. I programmed 146.405
MHz into
my mobile 2 meter rig, and on several recent trips from my home town, Moscow,
Idaho, to
Spokane, Washington heard this signal repeatedly and it was MOST annoying.

I can find no repeaters on this frequency listed in the Spokane area on the
on-line Repeater
Book.

Anyone?

Ken W7EKB