Re: [RFI] k SolarEdge's "improved" system?

To: KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] k SolarEdge's "improved" system?
From: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 17:24:24 +0000
Kurt, you certainly nailed the typical sequence of events.  For those of
you who have never been in the designer or retrofit shoes of the engineers,
take Kurt's contribution as gospel!  It's real as described, and many times
even worse with problems being simply swept under the rug or directed by
management to be ignored.  And W9IP's observation is also gospel.  It's all
about money these days, not quality or obeying the radiated emission laws.

There is another enemy in the stewing pot of RFI soup:  the contract
manufacturer.  The source company may come up with a fix for something and
passed one or three units through regulatory testing, but when passed on to
the CM, most of the EMC/RFI components are removed and jumpers installed.
Typically the RFI/EMC components contribute nothing to the performance of
the product only add cost.  So, the CM doing what CMs do, reduce cost, the
components are removed.  I've seen this so many times in the past 20
years.  China is particularly guilty of this practice.

Yet another ingredient to the stewing pot of RFI soup:  China. I seriously
doubt there are but 1% of SMPSs designed and built in the US.  China is
pretty much the single source of SMPSs and SM controllers in all their
incantations.  We all are aware of where China stands wrt EMC/RFI - they
don't care and cheat at every possible opportunity.

Yet another ingredient to the stewing pot of RFI soup:  Our very own FCC.
Those SMPSs from China sail through Customs as a "component" with no
attention paid to regulatory testing.  And further, they are installed in
all our appliances.  And.....our very own FCC exempts appliances for any
EMC/RFI evaluation other than to point out "to use best engineering
practices"

No wonder SMPSs in all their themes and variations are an ongoing and
increasing problem.

Dave - WØLEV

--
*Dave - WØLEV*