Re: [RFI] k SolarEdge's "improved" system?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] k SolarEdge's "improved" system?
From: KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 22:57:39 -0800
On 2/7/2023 18:55, NA6MB Mike wrote:
They have been “working on” a new system / quieter system for several years now!

When I worked in prototyping, we had a fellow, that designed switching mode power supplies. From idea, to design, to completed project, was about three months, and most of that was waiting for others with monstrous backlogs. In reality, it took about a week for him to come up with a design. That was one guy, 23+ years ago, and having to hire out for assembly, compliance testing, and certification.

I recall one time when an on-board supply didn't pass, another fellow had to come up with a patch, and instructions for me to build/verify before sending it to the manufacturer. That took about five hours, three before lunch, two after, and about a half-dozen attempts. Once verified, the fellow grabbed the modification sheet and ran out of the lab. I heard no more, the supply was perfect.

I'd imagine, nowadays, with the personnel, and resources of an average sized company, much more than a week or two for a solution, maybe a month at the outside, with most of that just standing around, is purely jerking people around, waiting for someone else's problem to go away.

A fellow asked earlier about the model, or information regarding a new quiet system. It hardly matters. If quiet, then all new ones will be quiet from the first quiet new build onward, the problem will no longer exist. If an old one isn't, the replacement will be quiet, once the manufacturer is notified of an issue, as all they will have on-hand is quiet replacement units.

Should a quiet system actually exist, perfect, problem solved- FOREVER.

Quiet modules won't be back-engineered into RFI spewing problematic garbage, and noisy units will fail, or get swapped out upon notification, so, ultimately, in the end, RFI silence.

I wouldn't hold my breath, rely on it, or even imagine there being a valid solution, or it would have existed within days, to weeks of the issue coming up, and, so far, based on comments in the forums, as recently as the last one, solar edge has had RFI problems since their inception. If you have solar edge based RFI, and had just one guess as to why, you'd almost certainly be right:

The issue exists, because a solution does not.

Kurt