[RFI] RFI from variable speed drive 1.1 miles away (very interesting cas

To: "jim@audiosystemsgroup.com" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] RFI from variable speed drive 1.1 miles away (very interesting case).
From: Lee STRAHAN <k7tjr@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 02:24:12 +0000
Hi Guys
   Well, very interesting to me as well. I have been trying to get a VFD drive
situation "Fixed' for about 5 years now. It took me a year to figure out why I
could not just hear a buzz on AM for this noise. It just covers up everything
weak with a white noise sound. It all started after an air compressor burned
its housing building structure and itself to the ground at the wood products
company about 1500 feet away from my farm. They replaced their compressor unto
my knowledge with a 100 Horsepower unit on a VFD drive. I suspected that the
new building may be the problem when the noise started but had no proof.
  My findings after all this time and the involvement of the power company
which I must say Pacific Power is VERY responsive is that it is definitely the
VFD on this compressor that leaves me with 20 dB of extra wideband noise over
background on 100 Hz CW bandwidth on 160 meters. I reached out to the ARRL but
without a usual recording of humming noise or digital occurrences what I had
was useless to the ARRL at the time, years ago. I moved my RX antennas 1000
feet away from the power lines in three different directions and the noise
would still cover most any DX signal.
    What I eventually found was that it was not radiated noise that is the
problem from the plant but it is conducted noise on the power lines that serve
both my farm and the wood products business next door and continue to a
substation about 2 miles away. I finally bought a used SDR-IQ and I was able to
finally see the interference that would ordinarily just sound as wide band
noise on any receiver. I mounted one of my Hi-Z amps with a 10 foot whip on my
truck and installed the SDR-IQ and laptop for output in the truck cab. It was
the immediately clear that the power line was definitely involved as I was able
to drive about 2 miles from my farm toward the substation and still detect that
line noise pattern on my SDR-IQ. It was also immediately apparent that as I
drove into the facility that it was coming from there.
 The company has been somewhat responsive but it has been a year now since
their last response. They have unpowered and powered the whole air compressor
system with VFD device on and off and we have definitely verified it as the
source. Their electricians tend to believe in their ways and not mine even with
my license since 1962 and jobs in RF type signals in electronics for 50 years.
There are companies that make filters for this at 480 volts 3 phase and the
electricians as near as I can tell tend to not believe that these would help
and need to try their own fixes. They have tried inductors, transformers, and
wire dressing with no avail.
    I have a rather lengthy and sort of crude video of that truck trip and I
will try to trim it, then rescale its size some and  post it on one of my
websites within a few days. I will share a link here when this happens.
  I have a promise from the guy in charge of the facility that he will get back
to me after his vacation within a few days. I guess we will see about that.
     Bottom line here is that it sometimes takes all the toys to find power
line problems. I have low frequency receivers, HF receivers with a small  DF
loop, VHF , UHF  and ultrasonic frequency receivers for AM. None could track
this noise except the SDR as it comes from everywhere off the lengthy power
line.  Even when the power company opened the 15 KV to 480 V at the plants
metal security box transformer for me there was no indication of any arcing.
The noise starts about 1.5 MHz in the BC band and continues up just outside the
80 meter band.
   I will be back no doubt.
Lee   K7TJR  OR