Re: [RFI] RFI from variable speed drive 1.1 miles away (very interesting

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI from variable speed drive 1.1 miles away (very interesting case).
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 11:27:06 -0800
On 11/17/2022 7:52 AM, Wes Stewart via RFI wrote:
  This is very interesting to me as I've posed an earlier, as yet unanswered, question about
potential RFI in a Bosch inverter-driven compressor heat pump,.  I am considering this as
an alternative to a two-speed conventional compressor unit.  The Bosch is addition to the
government mandated ECM blower also uses variable speed condenser fan.  The schematic
shows a couple of toroid chokes on the line input, so they've made some attempt at suppression
but how effective, who knows.

The analysis I've heard from two very competent engineers (the late Neil Muncy, and an industrial consultant who had encountered VFDs in the wild) is that a major mechanism is the magnetic field produced by current loops in the path between the controller and the motor. Both Neil and that EE noted that it is common for motor and controller in industrial installations to be widely separated. If there IS a twisted pair, the resulting transmission line will confine HF currents to it, but if it's NOT, a strong magnetic field will be produced in the random return path depending on "ground" between motor and controller, in addition to the EM field which radiates.

This is in addition to "Pin One-like" problems with termination of the mains "green wire" at the chassis at the point of entry, or not. In products with line filters, it's pretty common for noise current to be emitted on the green wire, which radiates.