Re: [RFI] What Is It vs Where Is It?

To: "Hare, Ed, W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Subject: Re: [RFI] What Is It vs Where Is It?
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 11:39:03 -0400
Hi Ed,

You said "what you really want to do is to figure out WHERE the noise
source is, something you will need to do no matter what it is."

All I can say regarding your above statement is "Amen to that".

I believe the problem is that folks don't have adequate DF gear so they are
looking for an easy way out that does not exist.  I prefer not to guess
what the source might be as you really need to keep any open mind or you
can make some bad decisions/guesses.

The only thing I want to know upfront regarding "what it is" is if the RFI
might be power line noise, because if it might be power line noise I will
also bring along my VHF AM direction finding gear.  I do want to know what
it's characteristics are (time of day, drift, bands, etc.) as that will
dictate my approach, but I certainly don't care knowing what the device
might be.

Great post, and thanks.
Don (wd8dsb)