Re: [RFI] SOLAR INSTALLATION PROS/CONS

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] SOLAR INSTALLATION PROS/CONS
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 14:05:56 -0700
On 5/11/2021 3:50 PM, David Eckhardt wrote:
Personally, I'd strongly discourage even considering solar power.

I'm a HUGE fan of solar power, but I share Dave's concerns about RFI. The only reason I haven't installed it here is that the very tall redwoods surrounding our home obstruct solar illumination sufficient to make it practical.

These systems CAN be done without RF noise, and there are electronic components (regulators and inverters, for example) that can be used by a qualified engineer to build his own. Neighbor W6GJB has identified some for a system that he's been thinking about for a while. Systems must, for example, run all wiring carrying pulsed DC as a twisted pair transmission line, carrying that transmission line through the series connection of panels and batteries. Running the DC part of the system at higher voltage to reduce current also helps.