Re: [RFI] SOLAR INSTALLATION PROS/CONS

To: "Robert T. Devine" <rtdevine@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] SOLAR INSTALLATION PROS/CONS
From: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 16:50:43 -0600
In general, solar power is an open license for massive amounts of RFI.  As
a ham and entertaining  another hobby of amateur radio astronomy,  I just
say no.  A clean installation can be had, but it may take a couple of years
working with the installer to clean things up to an acceptable level.  It
will be very frustrating.

If you do choose to install solar power, write into the contract in no
uncertain and binding terms that you will experience no RFI from the
installation and, if you do experience RFI, they will either fix it at no
cost in an expedient manner or remove it at no cost to you.

I have emailed and phoned a number of installers in the N. Colorado area
and asked about RFi.  I typically receive either no response, or complete
ignorance regarding the RFI issue.  Of course, there are no FCC regulations
addressing the solar power industry.  The only weapon you have is
interfering with a licensed installation.  And, further,.......amateur
radios is on the bottom of FCC's concerns.

Personally, I'd strongly discourage even considering solar power.

Dave - W0LEV

--
*Dave - WØLEV*
*Just Let Darwin Work*