Re: [RFI] HF Mobile Installation in 2001 Mazda

To: RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] HF Mobile Installation in 2001 Mazda
From: Alex <kr1st@amsat.org>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 17:45:29 -0500
Tom Rauch wrote:

Oh come on now Al.

Al?

 Are you actually trying to tell me the
chassis of your unibody vehicle develops a high resistance
path from major sheet metal components back to the inner
fenders?

No. Unibody or not, the battery's negative terminal has to connect to the chassis somewhere. Corrosion can develop there. This happened to me two months ago. ECM hums along just peachy until I started this old animal. Battery voltage dropped and because a high resitive point had developed at the point mentioned earlier, the voltage presented to the ECM dropped below a value that would keep the ECM happy. So it rebooted as soon as I stopped trying to start the car (and the terminal voltage recovered). Other intersting stuff happens, too, but I'm sure no one here is interested in that.

 The only case of that I can think of is if Amtrak
split the rest of the body in half at a RR crossing!

Cute.

73,
--Alex KR1ST
http://www.kr1st.com